Any user account with administrator privileges can reset another user's password. So, the quickest and easiest method to reset the administrator user account password is to use another user with administrator privileges. If you have another user account with administrator privileges, then log in as that user, and either use the User Account GUI tool or command line to reset the administrator account password. Access the User Account GUI tool by going to the Start 'X' button --> Local Administration --> User Accounts. Reset via the command line by opening a terminal window (Ctrl+Alt+T), then using the command: sudo passwd administrator
If another user with administrator privileges isn't available, then you can reset the administrator user account password by booting the Xtra-PC USB device into single user mode. To boot into single user mode and reset the administrator user account password, do the following:
- Shut down your Xtra-PC
- Turn the power back on your computer and hold the Shift key down while the computer boots. Keep holding the Shift key until you see a blue background GNU GRUB menu.
- You should see 4 items in the menu including Xtra-PC GNU/Linux and Advanced options for Xtra-PC GNU/Linux
- Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, scroll down to the Advanced options for Xtra-PC GNU/Linux menu item, then hit the Enter key.
- This will bring you to another menu (black background) with 2 options: Xtra-PC GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.13.0-24-generic and Xtra-PC GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.13.0-24-generic (recovery mode)
- Select the second menu item Xtra-PC GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.13.0-24-generic (recovery mode)
- This will load the kernel and initial ramdisk and bring you to the recovery menu. This can take a couple minutes to complete.
- On this menu, scroll down and select “root Drop to root shell prompt”
- At the bottom of the screen, you will now be sitting at a root user prompt.
- In recovery mode, the filesystem will mount as read-only when choosing this option. So, you need to remount it with rw (read-write) access. If you don't do this, you will not be able to change the password of the administrator user. To remount the filesystem with rw access, run this command: mount –rw –o remount /
- After remounting the filesystem with rw access, you can change the password of the administrator user account (or any other user for that matter) by running: passwd administrator
- After changing the password, type reboot and then hit the enter key to restart your computer. Please note that after hitting the enterkey, you will see the recovery menu again. There is no need to do or select anything as in about 30 seconds or so, the computer will restart automatically.
After this, the computer will boot into Xtra-PC with the new administrator password you just set.